Adoption Arena is a world of content for society around the adoption, fostering and care spectrum, like a ‘one stop shop. You can be inspired, get expert advice, coaching, join a community and have fun.
Adoption Arena will inspire, educate, and challenge stereotypes in this field through comedy, cultural events and input from leaders and celebrities who’ve been personally affected by these issues or support our cause.
We aim to build community that will support, engage and encourage those who have been affected by adoption, fostering or care issues in the UK and abroad.
Adoption Arena is a not-for-profit company and a private company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales Registration No. 9042569. Launches officially on 19th June 2014
- To widen the demographic of adoption and fostering knowledge in the public domain especially in the social, business and media world, thus encouraging more families or individuals to adopt or foster.
- To help promote social inclusion for the public benefit for young fostered adults, by preventing people from becoming socially excluded, relieving the needs of those people who are socially excluded and assisting them to integrate into society safely.
- For fostered/adopted people who are excluded from society, or part of society, as a result of being a member of a socially and economically deprived community, Adoption Arena will address their needs in various forms from education to workshops.
- Unite organisations involved in adoption and fostering through technology, innovations and events.
Adoption Arena will fulfil the aim by:
- Distributing and allocating funds, as appropriate, to support and empower foster and/or children in need, identified by various agencies to have ‘fun’ days out, and help to address personal needs as they arise.
- Awarding an annual bursary, through funds raised, to an individual/group with an innovative strategy to help to normalize adoption/fostering issues into society, especially to aid young people/families affected.
- Using the media awareness of Comedians who have been adopted/fostered to perform and talk at events to raise money.
- Raising awareness promote issues through newsletters and roadshows as well as providing workshops, forums, advocacy and social media.
Adoption Arena will serve to lobby central government and key decision makers to influence policy in this field, through engagement and media.
Research and education
Research into this area is imperative, in 2015/2016 this company plans to develop a research and education module.
“…we could do so much more to bring people together to understand, help and support this disparate community. This website has the potential to support and grow a real social network, one that can provide information, challenge myths and stereotypes, and help adopted and fostered children right through to adulthood, because being a child is only the beginning of their story.”
Harvey Gallagher, Chief Executive
Nationwide Association of Fostering Providers (NAFP)
“Save the Children are delighted that Joy is supporting us by fundraising at her ‘Comics for Adoption’ event, especially as she has such a strong personal connection to our charity. ”
Abi Robertson, Save the children
“Adoption is a lifelong journey… no state funding exists to support Adult Adoptees or birth family members who have lost children to adoption… We are delighted that Joy Carter is an ambassador for Services for Adopted Adults and Adoption.”
Gill Haworth, Chief Executive
Intercountry Adoption Centre
‘One in four people living in the UK today has links with adoption, either through personal experience, or that of a school friend, a work- mate, a neighbour. Similarly, one in three people living in the UK today has links with cancer and yet the public know more about cancer and less about adoption. Without knowledge and more understanding in this field the quality of people’s lives are at risk, in this generation and the next.
Joy Carter, founder and CEO Adoption Arena